My Biggest Blogging Mistakes

Time to reflect; these are all things I've done and cannot say they are responsible for any success I've had.


WRITING BLOG POST TITLES LIKE CHAPTERS OF A BOOK
I know I have titled some posts rather poetically in the past but you really need to think about SEO, you need those key words. If the title doesn't tell your readers what the post is about you are not going to get them to click to read it.

POSTPONING GOOGLE ANALYTICS SETUP
Google analytics is an amazing free tool you should be utalising, but the thing is, Google analytics will only start collecting your data from the time you set it up and nothing will be recorded from before then.

LEAVING BROKEN THEME FEATURES
Setting up a third-party blog theme is straight forward but it can still take a fair amount of work, and often issues come up when something is uncustomisable. These little things can make you feel bad about the presentation of your brand and therefore not want to put other effort into your blog. For instance I recently switched 

HAVING TOO MANY MAIN TOPICS
I have finally realised that beauty is not what I want to talk about. Yes I wear makeup but I only do the same thing every time with a different selection of colours.

CREATING UNRELATED VIDEOS
Before I was serious about my blog I was focusing on my YouTube channel, but just like my blog posts I actually need to ask myself first if a particular video should really be made, or if it is going to confuse my viewers and make it unclear what my brand is about.

NOT EDITING MY POSTS
Often what makes a good writer is not the organic flow of sentences that comes from their fingers, but rearranging those words and going through them with a fine-toothed comb. Unfortunately my 'voice' doesn't always make sense. Yes I can edit my posts later, even after publishing them, but when will that be? Updating and cleaning up posts needs to happen regularly.

POSTING WHEN I DON'T WANT TO
I've been away for a long while and I don't think anyone was expecting great consistency anyway. Consistent is simply not a word that describes me. Not in when I post and not in what I post about. The only mistake I find in this is that I've tried to be someone I'm not and I've tried to be perfect in the way that other bloggers have found success.

I'm redefining success for myself and it turns out I see success and freedom and doing what makes me happy. I'm just finally accepting that I can't be Zoella, or any other big social media person and I don't want that kind of pressure. I'm actually a private soul and I over share on the things I'm comfortable sharing so people don't feel like they need to know any more and then ask about the things that I actually want to keep to myself. So let's drop the expectations from you, dear reader, to make any comments because I know you won't even if I finish with a question intended to provoke discussion. And let's drop the expectations that I'm going to post what anyone else want to read, I'm doing this for me the way I want to.

xxoBeka

Comments

Popular Posts